A lot of times in our thirst to produce content, we lose our readers’ interest along the way by sharing something that’s either boring, without real value or salesy.
The truth is, creating second-rate content is a waste of time.
Research shows marketers who share original content get about 8X more traffic than those who don’t.
But do you need to create your OWN original content to succeed?
Not really. Think about content creation like DJ-ing: all you gotta do is show up and put your spin to it. Listen to your audience, take notes, add your perspective and create something worth sharing.
So what are the posts that get most engagement on social media and pique people’s curiosity? Here are our top five posts that work extremely well. Let’s get to it.
Content Creation: 5 Most Effective Types of Posts for Social Media
Before we get to it, here’ something useful for your content strategy. If you want your followers to engage with your content rather than look elsewhere, use the following rules:
The 80/20 Rule
Back in 2012, when we first started to build our business online, we showed up as an infomercial. And we quickly learned it doesn’t work, because people don’t wanna be sold. People are on social media to connect. They’re looking for content that makes them feel good and look good when they share it.
According to the 80/20 rule, you should provide valuable content 80% of the time, and the other 20% should be dedicated to content that’s directed towards your business.
15/7 Weekly Formula
If you only could do one post a day, what would be most effective? Use the 15/7 formula to bring value and mix things up. All you have to do is show up online and share:
- 10 posts/week that are fun, personal, lifestyle or bring generic value
- 4 posts/week that offer nonchalant promotion a.k.a. curiosity posts
- 1 power post/week that’s a direct promotion
Check out these examples to get your creative juices flowing.
“Majority of the Time” Post Ideas
We’re talking short text copy, sweet and to the point. It can be something you find funny, such as memes, TikToks, a good story—the point is, funny equals money!
Pro Tip: Don’t skip important milestones. If you got pregnant, engaged, a puppy or you bought a house, make sure you take your audience on the journey with you, because these posts get a ton of engagement.
Your main goal on social media is to create conversations and connect with your audience. Here are some engaging ways to do it:
- Ask questions: “How many of you are working more right now than you normally would?”, “How many hours do you sleep?”, “How many meals do you eat per day?”, “Are you homeschooling your kids?,” etc.
- Take a selfie and add this caption: Quarantined at home so I might as well level up my marketing skills #mylifestyleacademy
- Inspire and make people laugh: “I deleted all my ugly friends yesterday. So if you’re reading this, you’re beautiful. Has someone told you today you’re the bee’s knees? They haven’t? Well, you are and the world is your oyster. Now go out, put on a sweater and enjoy all of that detailed artwork that God did on you.”
- Share TikTok videos: whether you dance or make fun of something or showcase your lifestyle, we love TikTok because our kids are on it and we have fun as a family. Check out Nadya’s TikTok tutorial and learn how to make the best out of it.
Now it’s time for those five post ideas you can pepper in amongst your lifestyle posts to promote your opportunity and boost your engagement. Remember to make them your own and have fun with it.
It’s up to you what kind of modality you choose to use: text, picture, or video. Selfies work great on Facebook, videos on YouTube, and go with stories, videos, or regular posts for Instagram.
#1: Business Lite Post
The concept behind these posts is creating curiosity—a.k.a. if people want to know what your product or business is, they need to talk to you. You can mention you have a business, but you don’t say more. Here are some ideas:
- Photos from your company event without logos and branding
- You getting recognized on stage
- Photos/videos of you speaking
- Showcase your teammates’ success
- Picture of you with leaders in your company
Pro Tip: Don’t reveal the name of your company. You can do it in one-on-one conversations with a prospect, but if you post it publicly. Why? Because they can just Google it. You wanna generate leads for yourself, not for Google, right?
#2: Gratitude Results Post
Wanna brag about the people you’re working with, your customers, your own results in a classy way?
Here’s an example from Tanya Aliza expressing gratitude by focusing on business results:
“I’m in love with our new company plan. I was able to rank advance three people on my team today with my volume. We are all winning here and I’m fired up more than ever #finally #bestteamever”
And a gratitude post that creates conversations:
“I just have to share, I am so grateful that I got over my fear and skepticism of starting a home business because I got my first promotion and I just can’t believe it. I’ve never gotten promoted and I can’t believe how simple this really is! So grateful I took a chance. What are you afraid of but know you should do it anyways?”
Or just go the easy way:
“OMG I got promoted in my new business. I seriously didn’t think I would hit these goals so quickly. So grateful.”
PRO Tip: Don’t add a call to action (CTA) to these types of posts. You wanna share gratitude, not sound salesy.
#3: Recognition Post
People love to be recognized for their efforts. This is a great opportunity to give someone a shoutout or recognize a new team member for achieving a new rank by posting on their wall. You could also use a tool like Zoom to interview your top producers or your best customers and share their story.
Here’s a great way to start conversations and create curiosity about your products:
“Special shout out to my good friend Debbie who has already lost 16 pounds her first 30 days on our program. I’m so proud of her! She’s totally committed!”
#4: Nonchalant Mention of Your Business Post
These could be curiosity posts or sharing content that brings people value. You could provide training about something you’re interested in and then mention your brand.
Go Live with a bunch of beauty tips where you add something like, “If you want your skin to glow, you should know that it’s actually what you put on the inside that matters. I’ve been in the nutrition industry for # of years. Send me a message and I’ll share my favorite nutritional recommendations.”
#5: Do a Direct Promotion Once a Week
Once a week you wanna be more direct with your promotion. Here are some post ideas:
- Post a picture of your product (with the name hidden) and a catchy caption like “Bye-bye belly fat. One tablespoon a day and watch it all go away. If you’ve seen me lately, you know what I’m talking about!”
- Share the benefits of your products
- Show before and afters
- Tell customer stories
- Do a big giveaway
- Make a big announcement: Post a selfie saying, “OMG, I’ve got something to share with you. Wednesday night I’m going live with a big announcement.”
It’s easier to create conversation once you’ve done a public announcement. People will inbox you—they won’t wait until your announcement.
Whatever you do, remember there’s no such thing as instant results. Nothing great happens overnight. Success takes a hot second to create and the key is consistency.
Which of these 5 posts are you gonna use next? Let us know in the comments below. And if you found value in this training, share it with your teammates. They’ll love you extra!
Additional Resources to Help You Build Your Business:
Want to Know What Tools we Use to Build Our Business and Our Brand?
- Resources – we often get asked what tools we use and recommend, so we put together one page with all our favorite resources. Enjoy!
Feel free to share this with anyone who might enjoy it and also comment below on your favorite tip or your biggest takeaway. We can’t wait to see your comments!
Our mission is to teach you how to build a business that gives you FREEDOM with your time and FREEDOM with your finances.
PS: Get ready to seriously crush it online! Click here to download our brand-new Social Media Prospecting & Recruiting Guide and get our inside secrets to Social Media Prospecting and peek behind the curtain at the exact scripts we’ve used to recruit thousands.
If you enjoyed the video Content Creation: 5 Most Effective Types of Posts for Social Media, be sure to like, share or comment below! Let’s crush it!
(Visited 35,184 times, 6 visits today)